Tuesday, July 6, 2010

OMG! I Have A Goal!


I just finished reading Stephanie Meyer's Eclipse novella, "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner." What a marvelous little story. It was an exceptional add-on to Eclipse. Both the movie and the book. (I swear to you, they are two separate entities with striking similarities.) That woman is gifted. She makes you fall in love with most, if not all, of her characters. Normally that's a good thing but in this case...well, it sucks a giant one!


Bree is a character in Eclipse. A brief one. But once you read the novella, you wish that she had a bigger role in the overall story. That's all I can say really without killing too much of the novella. Heh! Not that anyone reads this blog anyway but still, you never know. Besides, I hate being a spoiler.


I brought all of that up because that's what I'm aspiring to. Bree was a side character but Meyer breathed a whole new life into this little bit character. I can't help to say that I'm impressed with that kind of skill. I want to write but more than that, I want people to remember the characters I create. Moreover, I would hope that each character I create can be just as memorable or, at the very least, interesting. Characters like that and a good plot make for literary gold. Would I love it if I could live off of my work? Would I love to be a rags to riches story like Rowling? An instant sensation like Meyer? Immortal in the eyes of all geekdom like Tolkien? Of course! But I'll gladly settle for one person. If even one person reads one of my stories and loves it, I can die happy. Then again, a million wouldn't be bad either. However, like most writers, I do more brainstorming and less writing. Truth be told, sometimes I'm a bit apprehensive in opening up my mind to the rest of the world. I don't want to frighten anyone too much. It's the same reason I don't let anyone read my journal. One peak into my thoughts and I fear I may be expecting either an intervention or an invitation to the nearest insane asylum. Then again, fuck it! Sometimes to make it, you have to be willing to be even more bat-shit crazy than the craziest motherfucker in the room. I think I have the talent. Let's just hope it's a good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment