Monday, June 28, 2010

My Family Seems Familiar To Me.

I had a blast this weekend! I forgot how fun family gatherings can be. Actually, I've been thinking that this entire month. My cousin Linday celebrated her son Jayden's first birthday party in grand fashion a week back. I don't think I even had a birthday party until I was two but I digress. In typical Colombian family fashion, that party got out of hand when the salsa, merengue and cumbias started kicking off the speakers. The hall was decorated nice and the liquor and beer were almost free-flowing. I actually took a step back and saw my family and felt ashamed that I, at one time, (just before leaving the Corps) thought of never coming back to Jersey. I love them so much! I forget just how beautiful each and every single one of them are to me and how blessed I am. I know many people that don't have anyone in the world.

Fast forward to this past Saturday night. We got hammered out of our skulls and kidded around at my cousin's barbecue. Well, there really wasn't any barbecue but we were in the backyard. There was, however, ceviche and soup. Yummy! Not that we needed it. Back in the day, we all used to party because it was Tuesday. (I shit you not!) More importantly, there was a ton of beer and, even though my uncle Gene kept saying to take it easy on the Aguaardiente for fear of it running out...IT NEVER RAN THE FUCK OUT! It was like when Jesus turned water into wine or something. Then, we went to Bloomfield and Steve busted out some steaks and more beer at around 3 in the morning! It was awesome! We hadn't done that in a long time!

I took a step back there as well and realized (aside from the fact that I have a big fucking family) that I needed to spend more time with them. So, I won't balk at invitations to family gathering anymore. Well, it's not that I ever did. The problem is working at night. I think that I may actually have to get another job with better hours just so I can relish in family activities again. Either that or win the lottery or something. Family should come first, right?

1 comment:

  1. Found you after you had left a comment on another blog and wanted to drop by and see your stuff. Your pretty doggone funny! I am at dailylifewithbipolar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete